Thursday, May 04, 2006

5/3/2006

Went to the gym for another run/swim brick. Felt good starting out, and after a two minute warmup, was running along at 6mph (10minute pace). About 15 minutes in, my calves started to hurt, as if I'd strained them. Strange, as my last major activity was a 28 mile ride four days prior. I slowed to a fast walk at the 2 mile mark to bring my pulse down, then moved it back up, ignoring the increasing pain from my calves. At 2.5 miles, I upped my speed to 6.2, and at 3.0 miles I was at about 34:00. I decided I was going to shoot for sub 35:00, so I 'sprinted for the finish' at 6.7mph. At 3.1, the treadmill backed off to 4.5 to begin the cooldown. I completed my 3.1 miles in 35:01, which was about a minute faster than my last attempt.
At this point, my calves were feeling it, and my left knee didn't feel quite right. I think my body is trying to tell me I'm not a runner, but I'm going to complete my goal, creaking knees be damned!

I did some stretching, then changed into my swim togs. I had a couple of tips from my 'Triathlon 101' book that I was eager to try; lowering your stroke count and keeping your head and chest down for better streamlining. As I approached the pool, I was informed by a trainer that there was a 'class' taking place in the pool, and there is no lap swimming allowed until its conclusion (in 45 minutes!). Mind you, there was one person in the pool, and it's a three-lane lap pool. I had half a mind to pretend I couldn't hear her (earplugs) and jump in and swim anyway. What was she going to do, jump in wearing her sweats and pull me out? >;-]

Changed back out of my suit into my gym shorts, and sat in the sauna for about 20 minutes to try to loosen up my tight calves, then showered and called it a night. I guess I'll have to get my swimming in this weekend.

(epilog: My calves continued to stiffen up, and I found climbing stairs extremely painful for my knee. I really hope this is an isolated reaction to something I did wrong. I don't want to have to abandon my triathlon goal because I can't run. I did feel much better after my previous run, so hopefully I made some mechanical mistake and if I focus on proper form next time, I won't be paying the price.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home