Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Bricking.

5/12/2006

Went to the gym today with the aim of doing a <5K run and a swim. I decided I'd throttle back since the last two times I ran, my knees and calves were complaining. I set up to do a 1.5 mile run on the treadmill. started with a fast walk warmup, then ramped up to 5.5mph. Felt good, so I pushed it up to 6.0. I figure if I can do a 10:00 mile on raceday, I'll be done in 31:00, and while I won't be competitive in the run, I won't feel like I completely suck, either.

Ran the 1.5 in about 19:00, so missed my target, slightly. Dressed out for the swim.

I got in the pool with the plan to do race distance (400m) twice. Got into a nice rhythm, and finished the first 400m in about 7:38. Rested a bit, then did my second 400m in roughly 8:00 (didn't have my stopwatch with me, so was relying on the clock on the outside wall of the gym.

5/14/2006

Today is to be a bike/run brick. My usual riding buddy had mother's day duties, so I was by myself. Took a nice warm (for a change) cruise around the new Simi development (Indian Ridge) and back home. 16.7 miles, average speed about 17mph over rolling terrain.

Once home, I changed into my running shoes, and headed right out for a run.

I now know exactly what triathletes mean when they say you have 'cement legs' after the bike ride. It took about .5 mile before my legs felt like I could run. I ran to the track at a local middle school, and did four laps (1 mile). My times sucked, but I could tell I was getting stronger as the run progressed. I probably did about an 11:00 mile, but hey, I have a couple of weeks left to work on my time.

5/15/2006

My legs were once again hurting a day after my run. My knee soreness was less, but the lower part of my calves were on fire. I don't know if I'm going to have time to ramp up my distance and speed, then taper off before race day in five weeks. Oh well, worst case - I'll just suffer through it. I have no doubt I'll be able to finish, it's just a matter of how slowly. >;-]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home