Monday, May 22, 2006

5/18/2006

Today is California Bicycle to Work Day (part of national Bicycle to Work Week). I am fortunate enough to work in a faciilty with showers and lockers, so I knew I could get cleaned up and ready once I got to the office. I found one lonely (empty) bike rack near the loading dock, so I looked for an alternate place to lock up the bike. I debated carrying it into my cube farm and leaning it against the wall, but found a good railing under trees near the rear entrance. I mapped my route on the Gmap Pedometer (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=187404). It would be roughly 35 miles round-trip

Woke up at the crack of 5:30, had a bowl of cereal, and strapped on my backpack with clothes, wallet, lock, towel, etc. It felt like at least 35 lbs on my back. In hindsight, it would have been smart to take my clothes to the office the day before, so I wouldn't have to carry on the bike. Oh well, next time.

The ride in felt good, cool weather and light traffic. I was surprised not to see more cyclists on the road. There were a couple of likely commuters, and several riders that looked like they were out for a training ride. In years past, BTW day had always brought out more pedal-commuters. Perhaps it was the time of day (I was earlier than usual). I had given myself two hours to complete the ride, and it took 1:05. I had plenty of time to cool off, shower, dress, and grab coffee and breakfast.

For the ride home, I shed my jacket, knee warmers, head wrap, and full gloves. The ride in was about 64 degrees, on the way home it was close to 82. I felt pretty good on the ride home, although I was dreading the one steep climb (up Erbes Road from Arboles to Sunset Hills). I ground up the hill in my granny gear, and enjoyed the fast descent down the other side. Arrived at home in 1:10 with just over 35 miles on the odometer, and feeling good - not exhausted. Another successful BTW day!

I'm heading out tomorrow for a working weekend at my wife's family place on the CO River south of Blythe, so there will be little to no training this weekend. I'm going to try to fit in a trail run or two, but it will have to be early or late; daytime highs are supposed to be around 105 degrees.

1 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Blogger FishrCutB8 said...

Sweet...keep up the commute. You're going to love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home