Monday, June 12, 2006

Keep on runnin...

6/11/2006

Decided today would be a run day. I rolled out of bed at 8:00, sucked down some juice and a clif bar, and suited up in my trunks, shoes, and dri-fit shirt. It was a typical June Gloom day, about 62 degrees. I was cold at first, but the warmup walk over to the school track got my blood flowing. I was wearing my heart rate monitor so I could get an idea of the workload during my run. At the track, I did a quick stretch, then started the lap timer on my HRM, and was off. My target was 3.25 miles (13 laps). I really wanted to see if I could manage the distance without walking at all. The first lap took 2:44, which was a bit outside my target 10-minute mile pace of 2:30. The next few were under 2:30. I was feeling good until about lap 9, when both knees started giiving me twinges. I concentrated on putting my feet down 'softly', and the discomfort went away. I monitored my HR from about lap 8 on, and was generally in the range of 164 - 170. When I noticed myself getting up toward 168 or higher, I would back off the effort slightly to get down to 165. By managing my effort level, I estimated I could complete the distance without a rest.

I finished 13 laps and stopped the timer. My time was 33:27 for 3.25 miles without walking! Average lap of 2:33! I am stoked! It ain't fast, but it's fast 'for me'.

Two more weeks until the big day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home