Friday, June 16, 2006

Let the taper begin.

6/15/2006

I have read several beginner training plans, most of them designed for at least 16 weeks of training for a first triathlon. All of these plans recommend at least four weeks of 'tapering' training, meaning decreasing length and intensity of workouts so that the body is fresh and rested for the event. Since I started my training roughly 12 weeks out, I had to compress things a bit. Also, I felt I needed to build a much stronger running base, so I kept up my training levels until this week.

Today, I went out for an early-morning ride. I ended up doing 12.6 miles at an average of 15.9 mph (there was some extended climbing involved). I'm going to try to get in a bit of a run this weekend, as well as an ocean swim. Next week, I'll most likely do one short run, one bike, and a swim (not the same day). I also need to find some time to practice transitions. That is one place where any triathlete can pick up free time, regardless of fitness.

Eight days to go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home